Topband: Nostalgic "openings"

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sun Jan 19 01:17:21 EST 2014

Hi Charlie,

The HT-32 project took place at  a TV station where I worked. They had a
well equipped  work shop at the transmitter site.
I had some idle time each work day to build and test.

Great on building your double lattice filter. Opening up the HC-6 crystals
is a delicate
operation. A friend tried it and too much heat and bye, bye crystal.  I had
ground many of the larger FT-243 type chrystals
but never tried the loading process. Think one of the other guys tried it
with pencil lead. He was trying to build a double lattice filter with a
perfectly
flat bandpass with steep sides.  Was looking for perfection and never gave
up trying.

I have a BC-696 up attic.  I used another one mobile with a PE-103 dynamotor
in the 1950's.     I could zero beat a station with only 6 volts on the
oscillator tube plate.
It probably was 3/4 KCS off when transmitting. but the old wide band AM it
did not matter.  But that oscillator just wanted to go !

73
Bruce