Topband: VK3ZL SK today

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Jul 9 02:14:18 EDT 2014

I am very sad to hear this news. There are some things you count on in
life. The sun rises every morning and then sets in the evening; and back
when I was really active on topband and up every morning at some
insanely early hour, it was just a given that Bobby was lurking there
somewhere in the noise.

I just looked in my log and my first QSO with Bobby was on July 15,
2003. I had only been in this house for less than a year and I think my
topband antenna was still an 80 meter inverted-V hung on a 40 foot Rohn
push-up mast lashed to the side of the house with the coax shield and
center conductor tied together and fed against a ground rod. On many an
early morning in those days, I would listen to Tom W8JI keeping his
daily sked with Bobby. Those were some really good times for me, so I am
truly sad to know that Bobby will no longer part of my early morning
topband landscape, except in fond memory.

Rest in peace, dear Bobby.

73, Mike W4EF/6
Tujunga, Ca