Topband: 50 ohm direct burial coax cable

mstangelo at comcast.net mstangelo at comcast.net
Fri Jun 13 15:49:55 EDT 2014

Don,

You bring up some good points. I got a couple of hundred feet of Flooded Commscope 75 ohm "RG-11" type at a good proce. I don't have the part number handy. I've been very happy with it at 100 watts. I'm thinking of running 500 watts. The center conductor is copper clad steel. I'm concerned about RF current losses because of the skin effect on 160 meters. Does anyone have any experience with this type of CATV cable at high power?

A 1:5 maimatch may be an issue at the amplifier but I guess I can place a L matching circuit between the amp and coax to get the SWR down.

I like Flooded cable not because it is anti-fungal but to keep out moisture. My coax runs 45 feet underground and 20 feet under my deck. I had some groundhogs visiting us under the deck and fortunately they didn't have a taste for the coax. The visitors have been relocated.

Mike N2MS