Topband: Rig Question

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Jun 19 11:54:14 EDT 2014

What I dont understand is even the need for some of these fancy rigs.

DXers and contesters on any band 160-10M havent really progressed much in
close to 30 years based upon the rig alone. PC control has been around a
long time and a simple external box can shape the TX/RX audio.

Key clix, phase noise, ALC spikes, reliability problems, constant
updates/fixes, and more are still with us...no progress there.
Overdriven SSB rigs and amps by those with a simian IQ are more prevalent
than ever IMO.

Is a built in panadaptor really needed? I have a SM-230 and SM-240 that are
rarely of any use on HF and especially 160. I use the SM-230 regularly on 6M
CW DX due to the random nature of DX band openings and fast moving E clouds.

Advancements have been in receive antennas and control systems. Ive never
found a second receiver built in to be any help. OTOH I do have a seperate
rig, amp, split and fader controllable headphones, and antenna selection
switching matrix that allows me to be on 2 bands at once chasing DXpeditions
even on different modes.
This is with mid to late 80's gear.

Advancements in automatic amp and antenna/rotator control plus logging and
spotting networks are, again IMO, a primary reason for higher contest scores
and the xcvr used has little to do with it.

With the huge acceptance of the TS-590 by all levels of ops it is a big
statement as to why spend $$$ for very little improvement.....those who
always want the biggest and best toys arent included. Buy 2 and a second amp
(lots of good used ones in the $1000-1500 range) and spend less money than
just a xcvr in some cases.

Many hams Ive talked to are wasting 1-3dB in feedline loss by the time they
get to 10M. VSWR loss is additive to the flat loss making some antennas even
more lossy over a full band. CATV hardline; and cheap 50 Ohm versions with
connectors are free to even less than scrap copper these days as the 2 way
and paging businesses have tanked.

In the automotive world the Corvette and Mustangs (and toss the new
SRT/Dodge Viper into the mix) are giving even the highest priced Euro cars
fits on the tracks and dragstrips at a fraction of the cost....there is
American technology at its best where it is actually measurable one on one
unlike with ham rigs which are more a personal and emotional choice, and
perceived rather than real useful performance.

Carl
KM1H