Topband: Deployable radials for 80/160M

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 26 14:13:20 EDT 2014

One issue not mentioned for radials on rather than in the ground, is the
nylon outer sheath on THHN doesn't like UV, so after a year or two the
snake sheds its skin and makes a mess.  PVC just gets dry and cracks off
the wire from UV, might take a couple more years for that to happen.
Polyethylene is the best choice for covering if it can be found at a
reasonable price, or stick with bare copper or my favorite, aluminum
electric fence wire.  For $50 1/2 mile of 17ga on Amazon. That's 40 66'
radials.   It is strong and if only down for the summer will last.  Or
just use new every year and recycle last years.  You can't measure the
gain change of conductivity of copper vs aluminum.

Grant KZ1W