Topband: 160 GP Choke

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 6 04:29:47 EDT 2014

On Fri,10/3/2014 12:58 AM, Mike Waters wrote:
> That is the design that I was originally going to use, except that I would
> change it slightly because I use all 75 ohm coax. Anyway, what is the
> advantage over one made with coax? Better bandwidth, I suppose?

Yes, the advantages of THHN are better bandwidth, and a closer Zo match
to a high dipole. Jerry Sevick wrote about Zo of parallel wire line
chokes, and had established the Zo values I noted. Many years later, I
wound some chokes and confirmed these values within the range of
experimental error.

73, Jim K9YC