Topband: TX relays

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Fri Oct 10 15:35:19 EDT 2014

That is called "sealing current". It's been used in the telecom industry for ages. The spec is <20mA though, and you can get by with only a few mA. It helps to prevent various corrosive forces from damaging contacts in relays and the like over time.

The problem is that every time you switch you will get a very small arc at the contact point and you'll pick some of that up in the receiver. Regardless of the value of the "suitable choke" the arc will have a wide spectral content that will extend up into the lower HF bands.

It might be possible to keep a sealing current on the system when it's not in use, and then go to a regular no-current (dry) system while operating. I'm not sure if that would accomplish the same function as having the current always present though.

   -Bill