Topband: TX relays

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Fri Oct 10 22:23:17 EDT 2014

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:13:14 -0700
  Paul Baldock <pbaldock at frontier.com> wrote:
> One solution to the receiving problem when using high
>current relays may be to have dc current (eg 100mA) pass
>through the contact in RX.

1. In all my antenna systems I always use some wetting
current. I feed from 24 V about 2 mA of DC wetting current
via a 1 mH choke and a 4k7 resistor at each end. I used to
have receive problems with all kinds of relays, including
vacuum relays, before I added the wetting current. Since
then, all relays have been working perfectly in RX (via
the normally closed contacts).

2. For TX above 500 W I use vacuum relays. Where the SWR
is low I use RJ1A (HC-1) or RF1D ((K45C) or similar types
and where the SWR could be high I use RJ4 (KC-2, KC8 or
H-8) types. Overkill? Maybe. But...

73,

George
AA7JV