Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff

Billy Cox aa4nu at
Thu Sep 4 14:52:23 EDT 2014

IIRC, the 'grips' used by power companies are NOT
the same as used by tower installers? Seems like
this was discussed on TowerTalk several years ago.

Seems like the overall length of the 'grip' was 
different and .... ?

As no one wants to do this twice or have a tower 
to come down, might be worth confirming the above.

Hope this helps!

73 de Billy, AA4NU

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Wichers" <billw at>
To: donovanf at
Cc: "Carl" <km1h at>, topband at
Sent: Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:37:30 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff

The "Big Grips" are just the ones for the larger diameter cables. I think they start at 1/2" and go up from there. It's rare to see utilities use larger than 3/8", and 1/4" is by far the most common with the telecom industry. All of the dead end / preform guy grips are rated for the breaking strength of the cable they are designed for.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: donovanf at [mailto:donovanf at]
> Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 1:40 PM
> To: Bill Wichers
> Cc: Carl; topband at
> Subject: Re: Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff
> Tower guys should use Big Grips, not the performs used by electric utilities.
> You can purchase Big Grips from Texas Towers and many other suppliers
> 73
> Frank
Topband Reflector Archives -

More information about the Topband mailing list