Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Sep 5 07:25:43 EDT 2014

Preform comes from the name of a major grip manufacturer, not from "tower
apes".
http://www.preformed.com/

Dead end is the termination style of grip.
http://www.preformed.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=15&Itemid=145

The normal "Guy Grip dead end" is typically used on any shorter length guy
line that does not have rotational or twisting forces, and they are normally
are rated at 100% of stand breaking strength (but you should check the
catalog specs because some are less).

The "Big Grip dead end" is the Prefomed Line Products name for the longer
grips, and are better for longer guy runs that might twist.

PLP manufactures custom grips that are not cataloged. PLP would probably be
a better place for application advice than Ham tower parts vendors (who sell
some pretty sketchy stuff at times) or Ham reflectors.  :)

Every tower failure I have seen has come from incorrectly installed guy
strand, saddle clamps, or anchors. I've seen towers where people splice guy
lines with dead ends looped through dead ends! It's common to see someone
worry enough to buy extra long grips (which doesn't do much for strength),
and then not worry about radius inside the loop (which just kills the
strength).