Topband: WTB: Guy wire stuff

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Sep 5 10:46:37 EDT 2014

> Preform comes from the name of a major grip manufacturer, not from "tower
> apes".
> http://www.preformed.com/

** Which has never been denied by anyone in this discussion. OTOH linemen
and other strand installers use it as a general description thus my tower
ape terminology.

> Dead end is the termination style of grip.
> http://www.preformed.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=15&Itemid=145

** Also previously discussed

> The normal "Guy Grip dead end" is typically used on any shorter length guy
> line that does not have rotational or twisting forces, and they are
> normally are rated at 100% of stand breaking strength (but you should
> check the catalog specs because some are less).

** As are the Big Grips rated at strand strength.

> The "Big Grip dead end" is the Prefomed Line Products name for the longer
> grips, and are better for longer guy runs that might twist.
>
> PLP manufactures custom grips that are not cataloged. PLP would probably
> be a better place for application advice than Ham tower parts vendors (who
> sell some pretty sketchy stuff at times) or Ham reflectors.  :)

** PLP marketing is aimed at commercial and industrial applications and not
hobbiests. Their idea of a radio tower starts where most ham versions let
off.

> Every tower failure I have seen has come from incorrectly installed guy
> strand, saddle clamps, or anchors. I've seen towers where people splice
> guy lines with dead ends looped through dead ends!

** Ive even seen some with RatShak guy wire which is maybe 1/8. Ive never
used an inline splice either.

 It's common to see someone
> worry enough to buy extra long grips (which doesn't do much for strength),
>  > and then not worry about radius inside the loop (which just kills the
> strength).

** Good points

Carl
KM1H