Topband: KD9SV-OK1RR relays ??? (RX Front End Protector)

Lee K7TJR k7tjr at msn.com
Mon Aug 31 00:44:06 EDT 2015

  I believe the point of having the transformers in their circuit is to
limit the maximum output.

A transformer (ferrite in this case) can only output whatever maximum
current determined by the core saturation level. They are relying on this
property of the transformers to limit the current into the clipping diodes.
I believe it was ICE that came up with this technique sometime way back. The
diodes set the voltage level of clipping and the transformers limit the
maximum current or power into the diodes. The combination realizes a
somewhat soft clipping level with a fixed maximum output.

Common mode isolation comes for free along with the design.

Lee  K7TJR