Topband: 9 EL YCCC RX Array

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Dec 7 14:00:27 EST 2015

On 12/7/2015 9:45 AM, Dennis W0JX via Topband wrote:
> The 9 el is just an extension of the basic 3 elements in line building block of the W1FV design. I think that it is great that DXCC is selling the kits to build these arrays. Personally I think the 9 element is overkill. Only three elements are active at any time. There is also a 5 element version and there is no reason why you could not create a 7 element version. DXE has reduced the spacing to 60 feet between elements which produces a 120 foot diameter. This improves performance on 80 and 40.
>
> I am in the process of constructing the 3 element, in line, basic array to use as a beverage equivalent. I also have a Hi-Z 4 square which is very effective and used as diversity receive antenna for my K3 on 160 through 30.
>
> I suggest that the PDF manual located on the DXE website for the YCCC RX arrays be thoroughly read to understand how the antenna works and the kits are to be
> constructed.
>
> 73, Dennis W0JX

Also, compare to my 7 element array, where
all elements are active.  Although it is
shown as a transmit array, I have also built
a receive version which uses an easy to
build phasing network.  See:

http://www.n6rk.com/7_hex_array.pdf
http://www.n6rk.com/driving_the_7_hex.pdf
http://www.n6rk.com/7_hex_eznec.html

I have only built a 40 meter scale model,
so I don't have any actual experience with
160 meters.

Rick N6RK