Topband: QRP

Mort mort.g2jl at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 15 08:28:31 EST 2015

Well,  IMO the problem with QRP QSO is definitely the increase in man-made noise.  We had a 10 Watt DC input to "the valve or valve energising the aerial" or as we must now say,  since American has displaced English, to "the tube or tubes energising the antenna".

Even so,  enthusiasts in good locations with space for an effective TX antenna achieved DXCC even observing that restriction. Beverages (except for tranquillising the operator) were seldom needed or used.  Nowadays,  anyone using QRP in a spacious location is either a Masochist,  or doomed to disappointment.

It is yet another aspect of inflation.  In my time,  a pint (568 ml) of beer in a pub has risen by a factor of 26...

73  -  Mort,  G2JL