Topband: QRP

James Rodenkirch Rodenkirch_LLC at msn.com
Tue Dec 15 17:19:18 EST 2015

I don't know that I'd use Jim's, "Most of it, yes" phraseology, Rick....go to the results pages for any 160 meter contest.....look up the top ten scores of the QRP entrants, then.....go to the Low power and High power line scores  and start noodling through the listings - you may be surprised to see well us QRPers do, in terms of score, vs. those supposed "heavy lifting LP and HP entries"!!!! I've participated in many 160 events where I had to struggle to hear the other station and, after completing the QSO and making some sort of annotation next to the call sign, look to see which category they entered and discover they are an LP entry, most often.  Jim's point - needing a very good TX antenna(s), lots of operating skill, and lots of attention to propagation - applies equally to any other entry category......there's no "lock" on doing well when you, regardless of the entry category don't pay attention to the TX antenna, propagation and honed operating skill.

Besides all of that ---------------- thumb your nose at a potential QRP entry/participant in any of the Stew Perry events - i.e., don't even bother to answer a call from a weak station at or just above the noise - and  you'll find your final score can take a serious hit 'cuz we QRP participants are worth 4 points as compared to 2 for all of 'dem "heavy lifters."

71.5/72 de Jim RodenkirchK9JWV