Topband: QRP

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Dec 15 17:22:16 EST 2015

> The thing about QRP is that the guy on the other
> end of the QSO from the station receiving the
> award does the heavy lifting.  A more impressive
> achievement would be to work QRP stations in
> 100 countries.  (A sort of "reverse QRP").

I agree with that. Virtually zero QRP stations I've worked were using
exceptional antennas. As a matter of fact they very rarely have fairly good
antennas, like 1/4 wave verticals or inverted L's with large ground systems
out in the clear.

I remember in the middle of a contest having two or three operators on
headphones trying to dig out a guy running something like 200 microwatts to
a 20 foot high dipole. It took ten minutes, and should have been worth twice
as much as a Mongolian station. He was actually much weaker than JT1CO.   :)