Topband: QRP

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 15 18:02:08 EST 2015

On Tue,12/15/2015 2:22 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
> Virtually zero QRP stations I've worked were using exceptional
> antennas. As a matter of fact they very rarely have fairly good
> antennas, like 1/4 wave verticals or inverted L's with large ground
> systems out in the clear.

Perhaps I'm an exception. I can switch between three 160M verticals, two
of which are a quarter wave  with 4 radials elevated 20 ft, and one
that's a 100 ft Tee with 60 on-ground radials. All three have a passive
reflector that provides about 2 dB of gain.

I am equally frustrated with guys running 20W JT65 into a wet string
with a mediocre decoder because "it's a QRP mode."

73, Jim K9YC