Topband: Radial Plate Designs

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Feb 4 11:32:18 EST 2015

>A different idea than lug connections, is to use load-center style ground
> bars bolted to the metal plate.
> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-23-Terminal-Load-Center-Ground-Bar-Kit-PK23GTACP/100129430
>
> I fully agree this is not up to Bellcore grounding standards. But seems
> much more ham-amenable, especially for those of us who unroll many of our
> random-gauge radial wires across driveways and lawns on contest weekends
> and hook up in cold weather - the clamp screws in the ground bars are
> easily worked with a screwdriver in a gloved hand and accomodate any
> random-sized-style conductor.

At little verticals no one gets close to, I just twist my wires in a
"coherent lump", flux it with liquid flux, and flood the twisted area with
solder. If I get really sophisticated, I slide a piece of copper pipe over
the twisted area, crimp it, and flood the whole inside with solder.

At towers, where people have to walk over the radials and a bunch of wires
are a PITA, I solder to a square made from copper flashing.