Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers DX Expedition finances

Don Greenbaum don at aurumtel.com
Sat Feb 7 10:12:52 EST 2015

Larry:

The number of US hams isn't the issue, it's the number of DXers working
each DXpedition.   And the better number to look at is uniques.

My Dayton presentation is here:

www.ncdxf.org/misc/N1DG-DXpeditioncosts-Dayton2012.ppt

My NCDXF article is here on pages 5 through 7 :

http://www.ncdxf.org/newsletters/2012-AUTUMN.pdf

Since I did the research, NCDXF has received updated information from its
grantees that has not changed the results presented.

Don
N1DG

At 09:11 AM 2/7/2015, Larry wrote:
>The last time I saw numbers several years ago the US had something like
>530,000 licensed hams which I think was more than all other countries
>together (or close to it). No way to know what percentage are DXers and
>possibly concerned with working a particular DXpedition. However, it might
>be more relevant if the percentages of financing were percentages of DXers
>that contributed. It may be still skewed of course. The percentage of QSOs
>doesn't really account for propagation or distance to between the
>DXpedition site and DXer QTH. I have been on the radio at times where
>working the next county (let alone another country) was an amazing feat on
>HF but I have also been on at times where you could work just about any
>place in the world at the same time. When I have operated from XV openings
>to the East Coast of the US have not been very often and are usually of
>short duration. Openings to South America even fewer and more challenging.
>Openings to Europe are usually everyday. It certainly has an effect on
>where the QSOs are made. 73, Larry  W6NWS -----Original Message----- From:
>Doug Renwick Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:36 AM To: 'Victor
>Goncharsky' ; garry at ni6t.com ; topband at contesting.com Subject: Re:
>Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers DX Expedition finances The point that Garry
>is making, he did it very well, is that EU as a group should contribute
>more than what they are presently doing.  And he is right. Doug
>-----Original Message----- Garry, In the good old days when I was learning
>the art of ham radio from Don Miller's DX and contest operations and my
>Dad UB5WF, I've got an idea of the ham spirit that makes all of us equal
>under the Sun. This is the corner stone of our hobby - the equality, no
>matter how much one's paid for the hardware and antennae or has donated
>for a certain expedition. You presume that although we are equal, the
>country which paid more is more equal then the others. I think this is
>completely wrong. In fact, how can you distinguish between those US hams
>who paid and those who not? Does it mean that their countrymen, in
>accordance with your theory, have paid for their free lunch? I was
>fortunate to have them all before the era of unproportionally expensive
>dxpeditions and accompanying aggressive fundraising has come. ðÑÔÎÉÃÁ, 06
>ÆÅ×ÒÁÌÑ 2015, 18:27 -08:00 ÏÔ Garry Shapiro
><garry at ni6t.com>: >Dado, > >When you go to see a film, do you expect your
>neighbor to buy your >ticket? Do you complain when you do not like the
>film? > >When you buy a car, do you expect your neighbor to pay the
>dealer? Do >you complain when the car is not perfect? > >When you go to a
>restaurant, do you expect your neighbor to buy you >dinner? Do you
>complain if you do not like the food? > >If you do, and get away with it,
>then you go right ahead and let your >fellow hams pay for your DXing. You
>are obviously an important person >and deserve such consideration. ;-) >It
> [...]

N1DG--Licensed since 1962
EX-WB2DND, A61AD (GUEST OP, QSL MGR), A52DG, C92DG, /VP8O, /KH4,  / KH9,
/BV, /VS6, /4X, /9V /A7
Webmaster:  VP8O, K4M, BS7H, 3Y0X, K5K, A52A, VK0IR, 9M0C, ZK1XXP,
WB2DND/KH9, BQ9P, ZL9CI
2006 inductee into the CQ Magazine DX Hall of Fame
Member:  NCDXF, CWops, ARRL, DDXA, YCCC

AIM SKYPE:  aurumtel