Topband: HVDC

Jeff Wilson jjw5257 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 11 13:16:49 EST 2015

I think my message was sent prematurely......sorry.As I was saying, my DXers dream location is located only 1/2 mile from the main 550kV line from the nuclear plant on Lake Huron to London, ON.  I have NE and S Beverages that point right at it in the winter.  The only time this power line gives me grief is the frying egg noise during fog or Scotch mist precipitation events.  This noise is easily removed by the NB1 on my old FT-1000MP.  So it is not a problem.
What IS a problem are the wind turbines that have sprung up all around me in the last year.  The closest is due east about 600m (minimum distance to a dwelling) and can really be heard on 160 and 80m.  Fortunately it is only a problem on AM or LSB, not CW with 250Hz filter.  Main harmonic is on 1890.5 and you can hear the mechanical noise as the turbine turns.  I have made recordings in AM, LSB and CW with the wind turbines stopped and turning at 5 or 9 rpm.  Fortunately no birdies below 1830!   Anyone interesting in these recordings can email me for a file.  The Beverages still work, but the NE is much noisier than before.  Bummer.
Jeff VE3CV