Topband: What ever happened to the 160 meter "Z" antenna?

Herbert Schoenbohm herbert.schoenbohm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:15:54 EST 2015

Many years ago when topbanders were looking for better efficiency and
something thart would radiate with limited space lots there was the "Z"
which was essentially a way of feeding a 1/2 wave sloper from a tapped
coil L/C circuit at the shack end by running the first 1/4 wave of wire
close to the ground (were it was claimed to do minimum radiation since
it was voltage rather than current fed) and then sloping it upward to a
tree or pole with the top portion doubled back horizontal to the ground
below. It has been many years since I heard of this antenna that was
supposed to minimize ground connection loss and provide some vertical
radiation (DX) component. Nor am I aware that anyone has model this
design as there were even some folded back version to save space.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ