Topband: RX cables in woods

Greg Zenger n2gz at gregzenger.com
Sat Feb 21 19:34:23 EST 2015

This spring I plan to augment my station receive capabilities by installing
a array of receive verticals (DXE 8 circle). I live in New England on a
glacial moraine; the soil is very rocky and uneven in the woods that
surround my station. I have found a plateu large enough to place my array,
however it its about 900 feet from my station. I am wondering what the best
method for routing the recieve coax and array control cable through the
woods might be. The land is highly poplulated with wildlife (deer, fox,
wild cats, turkey, rodents etc.) and the path between my station and the
antenna site is very uneven with rock ledges.  I suspect running the cables
on the ground will lead to damage, from animals and suspending from trees
(10' high for deer clearance) will be susceptible to damage from branches
falling (a problem I currently face with my beverages). I have been
thinking of running the coax and control cable in a liquid tight flexable
pvc conduit along the ground for added protection, though this adds
considerable cost.

Id love to hear any suggestions or insight on how to route 1000' of cable
through the woods.

Greg N2GZ