Topband: RX cables in woods

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sat Feb 21 20:23:08 EST 2015

The cheapest protection would be Polyethylene sprinkler pipe. Better would be rigid pvc electrical conduit. Either will be much cheaper than liquid tight pvc conduit.

The sprinkler pipe would probably fight you and try to be "coily", so I suspect the rigid pvc conduit would be a better option.

If you are willing to spend the money, a directional drilling contractor could run the entire 900 feet underground in about a day. They could install an HDPE duct for you (I'd recommend at least 1.25", but 2" would be better). If it's rocky soil ask for SDR11 pipe which is heavier wall than SDR13.5 (and a little pricier). If it's all private land (no permits), and you can be flexible with scheduling the work, then you can probably get it done for around $6-8 per foot including materials. They can put the duct 3-4 feet deep with ease. You might want a handhole or two installed due to the length of the run. In the woods you can use the cheaper fiberglass handholes instead of the precast kind needed near roads.

I had one of my crews from work run a 2" duct from my house into the woods to feed all my remote antennas. It was only about 225 feet or so so it wasn't a huge expense. I also had them pull a 4 gauge copper wire *outside* the duct which is bonded into my ground system to help with lightning.

-Bill KB8WYP

Sent from my iPad