Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Feb 24 14:01:38 EST 2015

> That of course will tell you the antenna is fairly Low Z, in order to get
> the efficiency back to as high as possible I laid 130 x 0.4 wave radials.
> With this I know  that the effective series ground resistance in my case
> is
> about a couple of ohms,   and the overall result is good.
> So the unfortunate reality for amateurs is the shorter the vertical is
> from
> a quarter wave, Ideally the longer the radials need to be.

That may not be as cut and dry as it appears. Radials do have standing
waves, and so the minimum impedance at the base will appear when the radial
is somewhat less than 1/4 wave long.

Lowest base impedance caused by the radial system does not always translate
into lowest loss, however, since there are standing waves on the wires. I've
seen this a few times, in the most recent case on 40 meters where 15 ohms
more base feedpoint resistance did not cause a decrease in field strength
compared to a  35 ohm base impedance.

Ham radio has a multitude of wisdoms about antennas and radials, many or
most conflict with other views.

My feeling on this is most disagreements come from meaningless measurements
or comparisons that have built up over the years.

73 Tom