Topband: Silver solder

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Jan 1 17:37:17 EST 2015

> “If you had trouble with an oxyacetylene torch, then I'll bet you used "silver-bearing" (tin-copper-silver) solder, which melts at well under 700 degrees.
These are mid-level silver sticks with 15% silver + copper/phosphor and have a working temperature of 1200-1400 degs. F – but not the 2-5% silver bearing variety with a lower melting point.  You are probably using a much higher silver content if working with OxyAcet.
Using OxyAcet on the 15% bars can quickly result in boiling and vaporizing of the solder with damage done to the copper, especially to a copper strap.  With 15% bars, Acetylene/air works fine even with a high amount of heat-sinking.  I have not yet tried MAPP gas.
Paul, W9AC