Topband: Silver solder

Joshua M. Arritt jarritt at vt.edu
Fri Jan 2 15:12:05 EST 2015

On BC MW AM installations, I use 15% Ag StaySilv bars for brazing
radials together, or to a common feed/EQ strap ring at the base of the
antenna, or strap running along a center line between two members of an
array where the radials will intersect.

I'll use alternately a Oxy/MAPP torch set, or small Oxy/Acetylene set,
conservatively valved, to get enough heat to braze.  Torch choice is
based on which set is on the truck and which set has gas....

The same method/material is used for strap-strap joints, and along
angled strap folds, on both AM and FM BC site grounding jobs.

The keys/goals of this method are absence of Pb, and insurance of good
enough heat to totally flow the solder/Cu grounding system member.

This method was taught to me by  broadcast "wintergreen".

My amateur radials, on the other hand, use far more dubious "cheap"
methods -- methods which I am embarrassed to publicly divulge -- on
account of a total lack of a working budget for things like welding gas
and silver brazing solder..  ;)

   73,
   - Josh / KF4YLM