Topband: tree protection and antenna hoisting

Larry via Topband topband at contesting.com
Mon Jan 26 17:38:21 EST 2015

What I do for permanent installations on trees is use 2 ropes.  One rope
( a heavy one)  is strung over whatever my chosen branch may be, and a
good marine pulley installed on one end.  The second rope is looped
through the pulley and tied off so it is a closed loop; the antenna is
attached to the closed loop.
Then I pull the pulley up into the tree and tie the heavy rope off. This
rope typically does not move much.
After that, I hoist the antenna;  you can use a spring or a plastic
bucket filled with rocks or soil to act as a tensioner and prevent
excess stress on the antenna, while still keeping the antenna taut.

At low heights, you can use a ladder to put things right where you want
them, or toss a weight on your rope over the branch you want. Higher
elevations require something else, and I use a slingshot with orange
painted sinkers and 20 pound monfilament line to get up to 100' up.  The
mono is attached to a 250 pound strength braided dacron line, which is
pulled up, and the dacron line is used to pull up the heavy rope,
usually either 5/16 or 7/16 braided rope.