Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:51:41 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Niko Cimbur via Topband <
topband at contesting.com> wrote:

> It does not seem to me that it would be too difficult for you to drive to
> your  RX site only 50km away, put up an Inverted L antenna and actually
> give out multipliers that count.

When I send in a checklog, that does not invalidate QSOs where other
stations were working me. They get credit. If I checklog, I'm just saying
that *I* am not submitting a log to put *my* call into the competition.

For that matter, if I don't submit a log at all, the fact that I am not a
unique call, and clearly was giving out Q's, the other stations will still
get credit. A lot of stations get on for a half hour, have some fun, and
then never send in a log. The only difference between a checklog, and no
log is that the contest sponsor won't be able to throw out not-in-log
contacts, people who say they worked me, but are not in my log.

So one can use their favorite SDR remote to enjoy the contest, and you can
submit the score it to 3830. The downside is that the contest sponsor does
not have a contest class that accepts the remote RX arrangement.

The real issue is to persuade the contest organizers to allow that in some
contest class. Good luck on that. Organizers have always been WAY behind
the technological possibilities, most likely because certain advancements
give such a large advantage to someone who is able to construct them. On
160 meters, the MAJORITY of contest entrants would describe their location
as noisy.

73, Guy.