Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:14:05 EST 2015

> So one can use their favorite SDR remote to enjoy the contest, and you can
> submit the score it to 3830. The downside is that the contest sponsor does
> not have a contest class that accepts the remote RX arrangement.
>
> The real issue is to persuade the contest organizers to allow that in some
> contest class. Good luck on that. Organizers have always been WAY behind
> the technological possibilities, most likely because certain advancements
> give such a large advantage to someone who is able to construct them. On
> 160 meters, the MAJORITY of contest entrants would describe their location
> as noisy.
>
> 73, Guy.

I would urge caution before we start asking contest sponsors to allow
remote RX sites.  There are some lucky folks where noise is not a huge
issue.  Consider what I could do with a remote RX site - aways from the TX
hash, essentially being able to run full duplex.  To me, this is a pretty
serious game changer.  I do understand the advantages, and how it could
help someone who lives in a noisy location.  But - be careful of granting
an advantage to folks who are blessed without that issue.

Tom - VE3CX