Topband: A Bit Off Topic

K1FZ-Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sat Jun 27 14:15:38 EDT 2015

 Bob,

Good idea to think about CME protection as well as lightening.  I
recently had problems at WERU-FM radio station where I am the CE.

At the height of Northern lights, It came in on audio lines and took
down a stereo audio processor at the studio.
At the transmitter site  it took down a Internet service provider.
Also at the TX site the Burk remote control was getting pulses, not
from the Harris transmitter. Slow getting back up on air.
Then after I was back up on the air and extinguished all
alarms, receive a phone call from the remote saying we had zero output
power. But we were still up on the air.
This is my first CME   problems.     Not the blown fuses and
fried parts like lightening, but instead taking out few of the most
sensitive solid state components.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

www.qsl.net/k1fz/beverage_antenna.html