Topband: A Bit Off Topic

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Jun 27 15:34:03 EDT 2015

> Any suggestions appreciated on an effective electrical panel lightning
> protection device for my panel breaker box.  Thanks and 73, Bob K3UL

Bob and all,

Keep in mind, spacing between conductors is typically very small compared to
conductor length. Although there can be exceptions, virtually all damage is
common mode that flows in parallel on bundles between things. (The same is
generally true for RFI.)

The vast majority of protection comes from a common entrance ground bond,
where everything entering a system, or everything entering an equipment hub,
enters through one point where "grounds" are common bonded.

The most prolific damage, and the worse sensitivity to damage, occurs when
widely separated things enter without being brought together at one point
and bonded.

Broadcast sites go many years taking direct hits without damage without
protection devices when they have proper entrance systems, while others are
damaged by the weakest of external stimuli when they are improperly wired.

I have very few protection devices. I don't have an entrance panel ground,
take dozens of strikes a year, never disconnect anything, and I never have
problems. I've never lost a modem, even though the phone lines are above
ground for miles. I have had wires outside melt from direct hits without
inside equipment damage.

When stations have repetitious or severe damage, it is almost always a poor
layout or poor wiring techniques. The best protection devices won't fix
that.

73 Tom