Topband: Current Distribution on Buried Radials Used With Vertical Monopoles

Eduardo Araujo via Topband topband at contesting.com
Sun Mar 8 17:57:30 EDT 2015

Hello Richard, and all Topbanders, I am not going to discuss the accuracy of what Brown, Epstein and Lewis found, only I am just curious about one thing..
Everytime I measured my radials with a current probe (home made), the total current entering the vertical is not equal to the sum of each radial current. Besides each radial even though being equal in length and lying on the ground, has not the same current each other. That happened with 16, 32 64 and 120 radials.
So, I thought that probable because of ground differences, the current distribution on each radial was different and if so, I could not be measuring at the same current phase point. What I tried to mean in my last sentence is like as I was measuring at different points of each 1/4 wave of the other half of the dipole or kind of.
When I read that they have measured the current in one radial and multiplied it by the number of radials, I wonder why even though I used simple instruments, got some different result......my method, my instrument or both perhaps??
Greetings to all.... Eddie, LU2DKT