Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

Herbert Schoenbohm herbert.schoenbohm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 22:03:57 EDT 2015

On 3/15/2015 9:35 PM, John Crovelli wrote:
> My feeling is the transmit and receive antennas need to be in the same location,

Same location?  One 160 were are advised to have the TX and RX antennas
separated by as much distance as possible.  The question is how far is
allowed.  My best RX antennas starts 500' from my shack and TX antenna
and terminates 1500 feet away.  I presume that is acceptable?  So what
do we exactly mean by the same location for both?  Same plot, same
address, exactly what?   Can't we all compromise and set the limit at
the same Grid Square?  Are there any Grid Squares that cross
international boundaries or even state lines?  Was the recent HV0
operation allowed to have an Topband RX antenna out in the Italian
countryside or were they limited to a wire hanging of the dome at the
Sistine Chapel? Not sure.

Not to try and sound disputatious but I think there must be some
reasonable elasticity to the "same location" requirement within some
reasonable limits like a preset mileage or grid square, and of course
within the same country.

Herb, KV4FZ