Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sun Mar 15 22:53:13 EDT 2015

I agree with John,

Receiving systems should be allowed only on the station property.  I can
understand the Stew Perry exemption but that opens up a can of worms.
If you give an inch people will take a mile as the saying goes.

Now the real story is people are using remote receivers and have been
and probably will never be caught or exposed because they are our
friends.  This is sad.  I received a number of comments from people
regarding a fairly well known contester and his use of remote receivers
and how this usage has essentially been cover up by other well known
contesters and log checkers???!!!!  VO1HP was not the station in
question either.

I have never understood the reasoning behind cheating in a hobby where
the rewards are wooden plaques and paper printed award. Apparently
people are so down on themselves they must cheat to get high rankings to
feel good about themselves.  This is sad.

Is N2NT at the point now where he understands that this practice may and
probably is already being used far more than many understand and is
going to open the can up completely?

Other than people speaking out against these obvious cheaters, what can
be done to stop it?  It only requires a decent receiver and a good
internet connection.  When your have your antenna in the middle of
Europe you probably don't even need that great of a receiving antenna to
copy stations you have no hope of ever hearing normally, especially for
us in the west.

So NO NO NO NO NO and lets hope that most will play by the rules and
hope that those who know about cheaters will expose them for what they are.

W0MU

Mike W0MU