Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Mon Mar 16 03:00:56 EDT 2015

You are making the assumption that those using remote receivers have not
worked hard and long to make them work, Larry.  That's untrue in a lot
of cases and an unfair judgement as far as many of us are concerned.  I
have spent many hundreds of hours developing my remote station, not to
mention the maintenance.

Some guys are lucky enough to have the cash to buy large tracts of real
estate, and some of us are not.  I am in the latter camp, but I can pay
a local farmer a small rent for the privilege of using a part of his
land for some Beverages.  Do you think you deserve more merit just
because you happen to be lucky enough to own your own property?  I don't
think so.

Don't underestimate the ingenuity required to bring the signals back
home, either.  I use a duplex 70cm FM link to do that, not the
internet.  An awful lot of work went into designing the link as well.
The remote site is solar powered, as there is no AC supply available.  I
designed the solar charger, and manage the power budget at the site to
make sure that it will run a whole night on a charge.  A lot of work
went into that, too.

The day any contest tries to put me into a separate category from you,
just because I happen to be using a remote Rx site, will be the day I
stop participating in that contest.

By all means put users of the subscription sites into a separate
category, but not those of us who have put in the effort into building
the sites ourselves.

Greg ZL3IX