Topband: Use of Remote Receivers During 160 Meter Contests

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 07:26:05 EDT 2015

This has gotten off track.  The subject is not about your typical remote transceiver operation.  It is about allowing people to use remote receive locations with the transmitter located some other place than where you are operating the transmitter.

Why the subject and possible consideration is titled remote receivers, I'll never know.  In many or most cases it would be more comfortable or less expensive or possible to operate using a remote transmitter than a remote receiver. I'm defining remote as being located in a different location than where the operator is sitting.

There are perhaps dozens or hundreds of locations within a reasonable distance of everyone reading this that could nearly tie for the best receiving QTH in terms of terrain and noise level.  There is probably a clear winner for transmit configuration and it probably isn't easily accessible, meaning the one serious enough wanting to win using the Internet as an integral part of making a contact might not want to spend the money to go there to operate very often.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is you do the best you can or are motivated to do with resources available and transmitters and receivers on both ends of a QSO should be at the same QTH.

Remote transceiver operation is an entirely different thread, beaten to death in some people's opinion.

At some point in time a line in the sand needs to be drawn and maintained.  I'm hoping that occurs at a point where we have preserved some semblance of what radio is all about.  In my opinion, computers and the Internet are not integral to the art of radio communications.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad