Topband: RG-6 questions

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Mar 16 09:02:45 EDT 2015

There isn't much difference in loss with the CCS center conductor. If you have very long runs and power remote equipment with power injectors then the DC resistance will likely be more of an issue.

You can get RG6 with a solid copper (BC) center conductor. This type is sold for satellite tv (where there is a relatively high DC current on the coax powering the LNB at this dish). BC center conductor coax is also commonly used for security cameras where baseband video signals are in use. It's also possible to get RG6 sized cable with a copper shield although there really isn't any value to that variant in our application.

For suppliers, I'd try local commercial distributors first (graybar is a large national supplier), or mail-order satellite TV suppliers. If you go mail order, be careful what you buy. I found some of the non-branded RG6 to be of very poor quality once with only about a 20% shield coverage.

-Bill KB8WYP

Sent from my iPhone