Topband: Use of remote receivers

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Mar 16 11:48:55 EDT 2015

> This aspect is certainly a game changer - and why there has to be some
> reasonable limit to how far away a remote receiver can be (if it is
> allowed at all).  As W7EW posted, the Step Perry contest has a limit
> on that.
>
> However, there will always be some stations who will want to give into
> the temptation and break the rules.  This will happen no matter how
> the rules are crafted unfortunately.  If someone consistently can hear
> you when nobody else can - and they are operating from a small city
> lot - I would start to suspect something like this is going on.

I suspect among consistently winning stations, there is very little (if any)
"cheating", and certainly virtually none that would affect results.

My observation is there are far more misplaced sour grapes and whining than
actual problems affecting people. Complaining and conspiracy theories seem
to be the social normal today. I think any decisions break down into two
things:

1.) What is a fair or reasonable decision for MOST people who want to do a
competition for placement relative to others

2.) What for MOST might minimize any tendency to bend or not follow rules

As for the cheaters, they will cheat no matter what. As for chronic
conspiracy theorists and complainers, they will whine and complain no matter
what.

For example, if DXCC is such a huge problem, make a class where everything
has to be actually built by the competitor. Don't let people rent, buy, or
use anything that they did not put together.

If location is a problem, make a rule the station has to be at your own
residence and nowhere else. If you move or have a bad location, too bad.

I think where the world is heading is we need 1000 classes, where everyone
fits into a specific class so no one can finish less than top ten.  :)

73 Tom