Topband: DSP and Latency

Mark van Wijk, PA5MW pa5mw at home.nl
Wed Mar 18 02:52:25 EDT 2015

Jim,

This is a matter of semantics.
The word "latency" was only shortly introduced to most of us, linking to
that "awkward little time delay while doing audio via internet".
The true and longer explanation is correctly described in your words.
Same for your solution.

Newer technologies in our daily life introduce new words. And most of the
time people receive them first via commercials and from mouth-to-mouth
chatter at coffee time.  One cannot expect that at every new word people
start checking all backgrounds in Wikipedia or dig out the required
technical theory books. As such we see in daily life that the short
practical application is adapted, without even thinking about what is behind
that word.
>From a more scientific standpoint of view we can argue that one should not
just blindly accept &use any new (hyped?) word so quickly  before doing some
proper learning on the topic. But the average Joe?
Fact is that in our society we see three major 'groups' which are verbally
and semantically often quite 'out of sync':
- people active in technical, quality, service related disciplines
- people active in sales, marketing
- average Joe
And then there are still some smaller groups like designers and lawyers, but
these are waaay off the grid :)
It is a challenge to communicate effectively between the above three
mentioned groups. Even more if there is to be negotiation or service, call
centers etc. Connecting(bridging)these worlds is partly my daytime job.

And then there's pronunciation.
95% cannot pronounce words like Feng Shui, Huawei, Baofeng correctly.
Yet, even commercials adapt to how  Joe responds to them, to keep it
recognizable and acceptable for him.
Not an ideal world you might say, but it is what it is.

73 Mark, PA5MW