Topband: DSP and Latency

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed Mar 18 22:14:43 EDT 2015

A POTS line *should* have predictable latency *during* any particular call. This is because they operate over circuit-switched networks where the connection/route is established at call initiation and remains the same throughout the duration of the call. Essentially, a defined data path is created through the telephone network for the duration of the call. There is no guarantee that the next call, even to the same destination, will be completed through the exact same path so the latency is not predictable (although will likely be very similar) from call to call.

On the Internet, which is a packet-switched network, each data packet (generally not more than about 1,500 bytes per packet) is routed separately, so each *packet* may take a different path to the destination. Per-packet latency is also affected by network load and buffering in routers. This means that latency *during* an Internet session may vary on a packet-by-packet basis and isn't necessarily predictable within the duration of a "call". In practice things are usually pretty consistent though. Keep in mind also that packets may arrive out of order, and packets will likely take completely different paths (and even different service provider networks) in each direction to/from the destination.

50ms, BTW, is about the time it takes to travel from Chicago to Los Angeles via typical backbone network links. I have a gigabit link at work from Southfield (outside Detroit) to Los Angeles that is around 55ms latency round trip.

One last thing: pretty much ALL phone lines are now digital. This is especially true for links between phone exchanges (and any 100 mile link is sure to be between exchanges). There are very few analog trunks left in service. The telephone network standard is for 8k samples/sec, 8 bit samples. Such circuits are transported as 64kb/s data streams without compression. Some systems use in-band signalling that "robs" one bit from each byte resulting in 7 bit effective samples and a 56kb/s data stream for the analog content.

Jim, I remember the old wide-band phone lines one could special order for remote broadcast setups. A lot of that is done through the Internet now. Crazy new world! :-) Many event venues now provide "house bandwidth" for this purpose. Back when I was working in a studio I remember setting up delay lines to compensate for processing delays on other busses, now the internal DSP in the board does it automatically. It's really amazing what some of the new gear can do without outboard boxes!

   -Bill KB8WYP

Sent from my iPad