Topband: DSP and Latency

D Rodman MD rodman at buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 19 06:41:38 EDT 2015

Everything takes time.  I have a great example of audio latency.
Kitchen has television with direct cable input and family room has
digital cable box with HDML to large screen LED set.  When watching
events, like superbowl, both sets might be on.  It is highly obvious
which television displays the video and has audio first.  It is the
kitchen one.

I am not sure how we got a 120msec latency from NYC to NP2.  It is more
than pinging the route one way.  I have been doing this for over 10
years.  Latency, for me, is really the total time between the station on
one end hears a signal, transmits and the station on the other end hears
the audio.  I can ping within my own network and get times of around
10msec.  I think 120msec is going to be a one way figure, isn't it?  It
needs to be doubled to account for the two way internet passage of
signals both ways and in order to get the true latency add in the
processing time of the computer or radio at either end (if applicable).

The real killer here can be variation in the internet latency, either at
the local network or international link.  That variation can negatively
influence communications and be frustrating.

Moreover, I submit in some circumstances a quarter of a second is plenty
of time for another station to be first in.  We have all seen that.

--
David J Rodman MD
Assistant Clinical Professor

Office 716-857-8654