Topband: ZS6BKW(G5RV) on 160m?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Mar 26 20:25:32 EDT 2015

On Thu,3/26/2015 2:12 PM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> This is great info.  Hey, thanks guys,.////As I read these comments, I am now wondering if there is a magic length of coax, that attaches to the 40’ of  450 ladder line that I could short right in/at the improvised vacation shack end, or just at the interface to the door/window/outside world, where I will be allowed to bring the coax in the (for lack of a better term), “cottage”….?

Mike,

Don't even think of trying to load that antenna on 160M as a flat wire
fed with transmission line. It will be a really lousy antenna. What WILL
work is tying both sides of the ladder line together and loading it as a
semi-vertical long wire. The top wires will act as top loading. You need
SOMETHING to act as a counterpoise.

Study the 160M Power Point slides on my website. k9yc.com/publish.htm
Then do the best you can with what you have at your vacation site.

73, Jim K9YC