Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down to apartment complex

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 13 22:39:39 EDT 2015

Don,

I have referred to VFD-s in an early posting as "RF
Weapons of Mass-Destruction". Still, they are useful and I
got one in my house.

As the contractor in your description did, I installed a
line filter on the input side. I also installed a three
wire common mode choke on the three phase output (6 turns
on a large #31 core) very close to the output terminals. I
also added three 3.3 nF high voltage mica caps on the load
side between each phase wire and ground. I used a wide
braid strap for grounding. My RX antenna is about 200 feet
from the drive but its noise is now well below my noise
floor and I can not tell when the drive is running.

Good luck getting rid of the rest of noise.

Unfortunately, for all of us, we will increasingly see
more of these drives residential buildings.

GW