Topband: beverage layout

Steve Baughn baughn at centurylink.net
Fri Nov 6 10:51:37 EST 2015

I am planning to put up two bi-directional beverages at my QTH. Being as this is the first time I have had the real estate and time I have a couple questions regarding same:

1) Since these will be running at 90 degree angles to one another, can the feed points for both be relatively close to each other i.e. a few feet or so or do they need to be farther apart?

2) I have read some contradictory material as far as type of wire to use for these. A few sources say WD-1 field phone wire but then another says there is fairly high loss in this. Same for 450 ohm ladderline who some say has its drawbacks during rainy/snowy periods. It appears that electric fence wire may be the best option given its durability (these antennas will probably be running through the woods).

3) If I do go with the fence wire as I understand it the spacing should be fairly close between the two wires such as an inch or so and mounted about 10’ off the ground. I am considering a metsl T post with pvc slid over it then holes through each vertical pvc piece to run the wires.

I am located just outside Mount Vernon Ohio if anyone in the vicinity is an authority on this any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

73,
Steve, WD8NPL