Topband: RFI - and lots of it

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:19:52 EDT 2015

I seem to recall that one of the arguments against soldering ground rod
attachments was that a lightning strike would first evaporate the solder
and then burn the connection. This would create a period during the strike
when it was not firmly connected and far more resistive. That in turn
elevates the potential for damage.

That is why one is supposed to use sturdy clamping, or various schemes that
form the connection by sufficient heat to melt the copper together.

I've not heard anyone talk about doing a proper clamp, and then protecting
the proper clamping by silver soldering over it all. The obvious
disadvantage is that changing out the connection becomes interesting, as in
replacing the ground rod.

I loosen, clean and then retighten my #4 copper wire to ground rod
connections periodically.

In my years as a fireman and fire commissioner, I saw many lightning
started fires where grounding turned out to be damaged, aged, sometimes not
to current code and ineffective, or simply missing altogether. The worst
outcome in ignoring proper grounding is a lot worse than damaged radio
equipment. I personally never saw a fatality for that, but others of my
firefighting brethren did.

I also will underline the stories told here about discovered problems in
house grounding and electrical wiring. One of my sons bought an old house,
inspected by a building inspector that he paid for as part of the mortgage
process, that later turned out to be missing the neutral connection from
the pole transformer, and was using the iron natural gas pipe as both the
ground and neutral connection. (!!!!!)  That was discovered when I went
over there to discover the reasons for various mysterious lamp dimmings,
etc. The power company was there instantly when we told them that the
neutral connection was simply MISSING at the house.

Don't take grounding for granted. KNOW for sure that all your outlet wiring
is correct with one of those little plug in testers, and do not short cut
on grounding.

73, Guy K2AV