Topband: interconnecting cables

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Oct 29 14:48:45 EDT 2015

>I am curious about terminating RG-6 cable connections in the ham shack.
>
> I have been using several types of adapters, i.e. F female to BNC male,  F
> female to UHF male, or F female to RCA.

I use F's up to the actual radio stuff, then I am forced to use what the
radios use. I have a lot less luck with BNC than I do phono connectors.
BNC's are often a lousy ground connection over time. Unfortunately, radios
require what the manufacturer uses.

In order of shield reliability over time in common small connectors, I've
found it is N, UHF, F, phono, and BNC.  For lightning, it is UHF, N, F,
phono, and BNC. My security system uses BNC and phono, and it is a constant
issue for having to clean and reseat the BNC connectors. Same with my radio
gear.

 I never have to reseat a UHF,  N, or F.  Very rarely a phono connector
issue, but they are only indoors. The BNC are a pita, inside or outside.

73 Tom