Topband: [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]RE: Waller Flag Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Sep 7 17:31:55 EDT 2015

On Mon,9/7/2015 1:05 PM, K1FZ-Bruce wrote:
> Thanks Jim,  There are new hams that do not know how horizontal
> antennas patterns change over ground.

Right. In general, horizontally polarized antennas only care about
height, while vertically polarized antennas care SOME about height, but
mostly about soil conductivity. I gave a talk at Pacificon and to a
couple of ham clubs on this based on an extensive NEC modeling study.
Slides are here.

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

> On 160 meters, Usually, but nor always, higher is better up to 1/2
> wavelength for low angle DX..
> Lousy soil, like low conductivity sand, dry desert soil, can put the
> effective conducting ground much lower than the surface soil
>
> DX does not always come in at low angles. Antenna handbooks ARRL, and
> Low Band DXing books are worth reading.

N6BV's Antenna Book statistical data for use with HFTA are an excellent
resource in that regard, but I think the data for 160M is interpolated
from data for higher frequencies. And yes, the ON4UN book is excellent
on that topic.

73, Jim K9YC