Topband: Changing to Synthetic Lube in Tower Gearbox

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 10 22:38:19 EDT 2015

Rick,

I finished one more flush in my reduction gear.   As I mentioned, my
lube was still pretty dark colored to my satisfaction after the first
flush operation.  This time I used the turkey baster
to take out as much of the remaining lube in the bottom of the gear
box.  Refilled with Mobil
Glycol and after running for about 10 minutes the lube is a light amber
color. (it was dark brown before because I didnt do a suction from the
bottom of the gearbox to extract as much of the
old lube as possible)   Anyway,  I am satisfied now with the conversion
to synthetic lube.
I called Hub City and explained what i was doing.  They said I should
suck out as much of the
old lube as possible (which I did)  They provide reduction gear boxes to
US Tower and are familiar
with our application.  Said with the Synthetic lube the gearbox should
last a long time.  These worm gear units get a lot more severe work load
than our usage and are often run continuously.  As far as running the
reduction gear under load before draining the lube, definitely.  The
gearbox should be warm to the touch and we need to run under load until
the gearbox feels warm.  This also
is true when running the flushing lube.  Run the gearbox under load
until warm.  They said the flushing lube is a lower viscosity oil so it
still lubricates.  It is formulated with detergent additives
for cleaning.  We will notice the gearbox warms up quicker with the
flushing lube and will not need to run under load as long as with the
regular lube.  (I noticed this)  The key is to run it long enough
to get it good and warm.  I wasted money by not sucking out the residual
lube out the first time.
But it is good now, I am satisfied.   Here is an article on flushing and
adding Mobil Glycol.
(I hope this will make the gearbox last a long time, I don't plan on
doing this very often, hih

http://www.winsmith.com/documents/Mobil_Glygoyle_General_Flushing_Procedure.pdf

73,
Bob