Topband: The band sans noise

Greg's radiotrade at rogers.com
Wed Apr 20 07:38:20 EDT 2016

Always I have wanted to permamanently run Topband, but  there is just too much QRM and RFI at BOTH my station locations.

After a late season ice-storm took out power for much of my area last weekend, I was SHOCKED at the activity and weak signals that were now heard. Totally amazing- but also a disappointment -as it proved just  how much of our S9  hash-noise is manmade, electrically generated or supported  RFI from "inferior design" devices, bad power line connections etc. It is not
just atmospheric.

Are quiet magnetic loops the answer? I can't believe they will come close to providing what I heard ( or didn't hear!) , but am open to advice. Is it worth having a 160m system on standby for those opportune times when an electrical blackout gives me my bands back? I wonder.

Q For you folk in the quiet locations, enjoy and protect!

But it was almost a religious experience hearing a 160 metre band full of signals over an S-0 background noise. Yes. All other bands from 70 KHz to UHF were, equally ethierial! Spectacular experi

 Tthanks for letting me share my awakening.! Oh, if only it were like this all the time!

Greg
VE3FAX
FN04