Topband: The band sans noise

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 08:08:03 EDT 2016

Hi Greg,

My noise is not S-9 - at least not over the entire band nor constant
around the clock. I do have some manmade noise issues. In my case a
mag-loop antenna on receive has been a lot of help. I doubt there is any
perfect antenna. But it won't cost you a lot to brew a mag loop from
some soft drawn copper tubing, a half decent variable cap and some wire,
glue, screws, plastic or wood supports. Just whiz it together for a
'proof of concept' at your location. If it seems useful build a better
version or reinforce the one you have made. Things need to be
weatherproof to live outdoors very long.

The nulls are the main 'feature' of those antennas and can be sharp and
deep looking through the donut on each side. They are fairly narrow but
if you rotate the antenna and/or tilt it the nulls will be *OBVIOUS*.
Due to the size (about five or six feet diameter for top band) the
signal strength will be less than for a five element yagi at 150 feet. I
have not needed a preamp with my radios to hear some DX. The tuning is
very touchy too. Without a reduction gear (or similar) drive you'll need
a light tough on the tuning cap and you may need to hold your breath to
get it right. I have a dual gang tuning cap with the reduction gear
built in and that helps a lot.

So spend an afternoon putting something together on the cheap and try
it. You won't have much to lose (the materials can be re-used) and it
may help you.

73,

Bill  KU8H